Thursday, January 31, 2008

Birthday wishes from my retailers


A few years ago I was the marketing chair for a private club in Boston. During my tenure I tried repeatedly to get a birthday program started. The design was simple; keep track of members' birthdays and send each member a card on their birthday with a special gift, such as a complimentary glass of champagne during any club dinner service. The initiative was designed to serve two purposes - reiterate how appreciated each member was by the club and remind members that the main dining room provided the perfect atmosphere for special occasions. Every time I proposed the idea it was met with resistance, primarily because there was no centralized location to store the data and an unwillingness to make funds available to create one. I still think it's a great idea, but I'm no longer as heavily invested in the club as I once was and so I let the idea die long ago. It's only the past two weeks that have brought the idea back into consciousness. And that's thanks to the retailers that appreciate my business enough (and want more of it) to wish me a happy birthday. So in recognition of smart birthday marketing programs I'd like to thank: Sephora for the free body butter, Sel de la Terre (one of my top three favorite restaurants) for the 20% off certificate and Banana Republic for the $15 gift card.

No comments: