Sunday, September 7, 2008

Don’t forget to think small

Last week I made the cardinal sin of big business and one of my clients called me out on it. I used one generic form letter to serve a wide purpose and it came off as insulting to at least one customer. What I should have done was a series of more targeted, more personalized letters. It would have taken me (significantly) longer, but it would have been more in line with the personal relationships small businesses are better at creating. So let me use my mistake to serve as a reminder to all of us. Our customers are our most valuable assets and they should be treated as such, even if that means a few extra hours at the keyboard.

Image by: blog.jmc.bz

1 comment:

AHP said...

I wonder how the customers would have taken it if you used slightly modified form letters Sometimes it's hard to say what you want with different words simply for the sake of being different. You would hope that customers would understand that, but I get your point.